Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Just got the protos roughed out today: Should be finished & orderable within a couple-three days (Cross fingers...) Chris

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

So are you gonna make a 4wd version with 4 rears to fit scalers? I'd be down for a set.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
So are you gonna make a 4wd version with 4 rears to fit scalers? I'd be down for a set.
x2. those would look sweeeet under my old school 70s Ford body
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 PM

No. Well, okay, but they'll cost a lot more, just because. Not really. If that's something you chaps would like as an option, sure! I aim to please, and since I cut to order, I can accomodate that. It's a swell idea, actually! Now, the question is, just make 'em exactly the same? Or would the drive need modifying to accept a cros-pin and not the 5-lobed thing on the Scorcher? Now's the time to let me know, I'll be cutting in a few days & if these need modded or must be a different batch or such, the sooner I know the better. Also, would offering an extra front wheel as an option for a spare on the Buggys be a good thing? Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM

This idea got me thinking: I think I'll do another batch of these wheels specifically for the 4WD Tamiyas in 1.55. I've aquired a set of Dirt Grabbers (My VERY 1ST RC4WD product!) and will tailor some wheels just for these size tyres. Basically, what I'm saying is not to worry about getting a set of Scorcher wheels if you want to use 'em on scalers that ain't a Scorcher or such: The next product will be these scaler' mags for 1.55's: Makes sense, as I can use most all the same setups & tooling while they're available.

Now, as I'm in an obliviopit of R/C ignorance here in Pueblo, I need to know a few things: Mainly, the offset that's most common/wanted, and the drive style (Crosspin or hex, and if hex, what size.) I'll post again somewhere to get more input, but if you've anything to say, now's the time! Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

id say go with as nuetral an offset as you can. that usually makes the rim look the best. and it allows it to be used on more trucks. yes, on some it will tuck in too far, on others stick out too far, but all in all gives it a more general purpose use.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyranosaur View Post
This idea got me thinking: I think I'll do another batch of these wheels specifically for the 4WD Tamiyas in 1.55. I've aquired a set of Dirt Grabbers (My VERY 1ST RC4WD product!) and will tailor some wheels just for these size tyres. Basically, what I'm saying is not to worry about getting a set of Scorcher wheels if you want to use 'em on scalers that ain't a Scorcher or such: The next product will be these scaler' mags for 1.55's: Makes sense, as I can use most all the same setups & tooling while they're available.

Now, as I'm in an obliviopit of R/C ignorance here in Pueblo, I need to know a few things: Mainly, the offset that's most common/wanted, and the drive style (Crosspin or hex, and if hex, what size.) I'll post again somewhere to get more input, but if you've anything to say, now's the time! Chris
Offset is kinda tricky. Too much backspacing and you won't be able to fit them to the front of an XC, too little and steering issues arise, as well as the need to hack fenders up for clearance.

Personal preference, make the face of the hex (12mm) close to the centerline. Although these would look bchin in a deep-dish.

Or you could do it how createacrawler does and use a separate hub. This lets you turn the wheel around (assuming non-symmetrical backspacing) for the offset you want.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Yes, a wheel in this style with adjustable offset would be quite righteous.
I'm with Stu, if you can do them CAC style that would the ticket.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

That had crossed my mind, but I dismissed it, because I'm not that bright! It might be fair to make a, basically, 1-pc. wheel with a bolt-on hub that's reversable: Always trying to strike a balance between affordability & what I consider a Rogue-quality piece, so I must be very selective in what I must compromise.

Stu is a man after me own heart: He likes his wheels like he likes his pizza, DEEP DISH! Along those lines, I'm pretty much sold on doing some 3-piecers like my old Clod beadlocks like the pics, using this design as a center plate for my Pumpkin & (future) Lunchbox: Prolly jest fer Moi, maybe 3 or 4 sets for the real hardcores ('cause they'll be a tad pricey. Maybe not?)

Maybe I'll do 172 different wheels with the same design and retire! It is odd that I have not seen something just like this before- It's fairly simple, classic, flexible, and timeless. Thanks for the tips so far Gents, hopefully it'll pay off for us soon. I'd be cutting the full set right now, but jacked my ankle bad & being a wuss, don't wanna stand on it..... Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Deep dish.... with bacon!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

so...get a rolly chair. I say, do pin drive. That keeps it narrower so you can run a deeper dish front(you're welcome, stu), and keep the track width down. They will need to fit axials(duh, cause I want em on my truck). If it's possible, take the lug spacing inward...

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."