Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM
LA4x4

Member Number: 14545
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Kyosho mini z mr01 to 2.4G

Well its a bit outdated and may have been done before but this hack job is for those of you that cant seem to find any info on this subject like me

This original 1999 Subaru WRX STI was one of the first released mini z's and will be the culprit of this transformation. I've had it since its release but it has not seen much run time due to the glitchy AM electronics.

The cost....
$40 us. To transform this car to modern day electronics (non kyosho)

The parts...

Tx rx 2.4 G $25.00

Micro servo $7.00 hi tec

Micro Esc 10A brushed w/o brake $8.00

Stay tuned...
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM
LA4x4

I have never done this before so I would like to tell you that.

Step 1:
Disassemble the chassis
Fairly simple just a few screws and it all apart.
So we have the bare chassis....

I have elected to use the existing battery compartment which hold 4 aaa's.
So l soldered in a new connector for the power.

The servo is the exact size to lay in the original spot of the chassis but the wires exit from the side to not allow it. I did not want to open the servo so it will be mounted upright. To do this trim the mounting tabs off the servo...

Here is a picture of where this idea is going, space is scarce but l was suprised how well the items are fitting. The Rx that came with the radio is a near perfect fit laying in on its side.

To get thr Rx in properly some trimming on the chassis had to be done
Remove the tab that ran up the battery case (this used to hold the AM board in position)
Also remove the mounting tab for the old switch. This will allow the new Rx to sit low and flat...

The brace along the bottom of the chassis will actually help lock the servo in place. So at this point you should be looking like this and relieved that you haven't destroyed an antique...

Securing these items will be your choice, but l will use velcro to allow easier removal if need to be exchanged...
Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Styrene apprentice

Member Number: 5663

I have a couple of mr-01, an Overland and a monster I'd like to run on 2.4GHz, but the 2.4 upgrade board from kyosho was always so expensive. I'll follow this build. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll connect the servo to the steering linkage. Did you consider keeping the original servo gears, pot and servo motor and only using the hitec servo electronics? I've tried converting a mini-z overland a long time ago by cutting the PCB trace from the AM parts on the board and using an Arduino to generate the correct CPPM signal to control it with a Spektrum 2.4GHz rx, but I could never get it compact enough to fit under the body with the original PCB still in place.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM
LA4x4

Thanks Wombii, I'm glad to see that others are still trying with this. Yes l could just drop 175 for a new mr03 and be set up but the fun is in the engineering for me. I too agree its quite expensive to make this 2.4G swap and to even find it for this model. I did not consider using the existing servo because l wanted to make it as easy as possible to do. Well....lets see....
Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM
LA4x4

Here we see the servo horn, rough right now but in there.....

Well the placement will cause more trimming on an original piece
It could be placed further back but then the horn will hit the diagnal bracing on the chassis.

And here we see the open clearance for the steering...
I think the horn will work best being as long as possible also the trimmed tab will not be used anyway.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
LA4x4

With the servo location set in stone a custom drag link was needed. So l came up with this piece....from a heavy paper clip, its actually quite strong and will hold adjustments....

Before it could be installed l wanted to take up some of the slack that was on the hub to tighten up the slop of the new link. So with some styrene l filled the mounting locations and redrilled the part.

Here shown installed.....

Here the draglink connected to the servo horn, looks a bit crappy but works really well. It will still need some work but for now l wanted to run the chassis to test it out.

It tested out great on the concrete driveway, l ran it for about 10 minutes with out problems. So with that critical step completed the remaining transformation can continue....

Buy the way l got a free under chassis lighting system due to the rx led lighting up the entire case and through the bottom of the chassis
Old 06-28-2019, 01:52 PM
LA4x4

So here some of the wiring will have to be tucked away.... and the rx is in place.

I made a top cover from styrene....mounts in the original motor wire locations and up front on the remaing tab...

Here nice and clean to mount the esc. And to also remount the rear suspension assist...

It has been running around no photos yet, I'm having an electrical problem being discussed in the Help section.