Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:56 PM
I like to make things.

Member Number: 28889
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Forklift, comma 1:10ish, comma scratchbuilt, comma yellow

Used to work with a guy who was retired Navy logistics, would ask me "What's it's nomenclature?" Thus the subject line.

Having spent a bunch of time building a 1:10 military cargo truck (see https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87899 ), I though it would be handy to have a way to get the cargo on and off the truck. Also, I didn't want to take on another big project right off, but had some extra parts laying around and apparently, an itching desire to CAD things. (I hear they have a cream for that now )

This one has just the one axle, and because I had a bunch of them, is driven by a continuous rotation servo. (Some folks call those "sail" or "winch" servos, but the "sail" ones sometimes only do like three or five rotations. These all spin without stop.) For this project I wanted to forego the Arduinos and complexity on the truck, and just have everything controlled directly by the rx.

Everything is servos or the linear actuators from Actuonix which use servo interface. It's just a matter of connecting the battery to a BEC, since there's no ESC, and the BEC powers the rx which powers all the servos. Simple, right? (slaps head)

Of course I got a little happy with the design and did two levels of telescoping on the mast, and it tilts, and the forks slide laterally ... and the stupid servos chatter all the dang time. I get them trimmed once and the next time I start it up they're off center again, just enough to buzz, the little boogers. C'est la vie.

Once assembled, it looks like this inside

sans battery, which goes in the big square blue slot towards the back.

and then all put together and looking nice. Flat parts of the body are styrene, and the rounded corners and other oddly shaped bits like the ROPS are 3D printed.

The mast rides on bearings inside aluminum channel, and the toothed belt rides on toothed wheels on brass rod. Standard hardware store stuff, nothing exotic, save the belt and wheels which were a $8 kit of parts for 3D printers.

I'm laughing at Frizzen's fun with toilet paper (see https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87905 ), but also in awe of y'all who can operate a fork. It takes more skill than you'd think.

Some of my attempts follow. Forgive both my poor camera placement, and the annoying-but-lovable Ragdoll (His Royal Highness Duke Leto Atreides II) who felt compelled to assist (rolls eyes).

Last edited by dremu : 03-29-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:35 AM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

WOW !! Nice work mate!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

That is awesome!!!

I hope the CAD Itching clears up soon and that you don't have to go see a doctor about it, i hear they're pretty busy right now.

Glad you enjoyed the Forklift Toiletpaper video. It was fun making it, but watching, it's SO easy to armchair-quarterback everything i do wrong. Like you said, skill and practice.

Nice work on loading the trailer!!! I might put some more 'expo' on the mast controls to slow them down around center stick. Your awesome powered up & down mast is much more difficult to run than my power up only setup, when i set a pallet way too far down on rack it's fork drag is just against gravity and a spring, so backing out is still easy. You're just trying to hit a sweet spot setting it down by listening to the actuators as it changes through hoist down, no load, lifting chassis.

I'd love to see some details on how you did the rack Side-shift, if it's not too much of secret.

My 'nylint michigan crane' dragline runs into the winch chatter problems too. Which of your servos are doing it on this? On mine it seemed to usually be Voltage fluctuation (or Potentiometer drift if you didn't replace it with fixed resistor bridge). Sometimes you can try to add expo if the deadband is just too tight, or when you get tired of fighting it you can swap the servo guts for small ESCs or Winch Controlers.

With a 3 wheeler if you had the channels and room to run 2 seperate winch servos for the steer axle you could mix them with throttle and steering and really tighten up your turn radius to 'almost crazy'.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 PM
I like to make things.

Thanks all for the good words.

The slide shift is just a rack and pinion. Great joys of 3D printing is if you can imagine it -- or more importantly, if someone else has already imagined it -- you can make a part. The trick was fitting a servo sideways inbetween the masts to turn the pinion gear.

Blue servo and orange gears at the bottom; this is facing the mast from the front.

That should make it more obvious.

I think it's more than one servo talking, but they all have pots, so I've been tweaking both those and the trims on the controller. Donno if my controller is smart enough to have that many exponential options, have to look. Maybe I can replace the pots with really high precision fixed resistors (as putting in 10% generic ones won't help any!)

The mast has the linear actuators on the outside for the first stage:

and then the belt on the inside for the second stage of lift:

Those are both front view; this is from behind:

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 04-03-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:02 PM
I don't have time to work on any of my projects

Member Number: 1161
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

To lift those large containers, you need a wretch https://www.google.com/search?q=wret...izon&prmd=isnv
Old 04-03-2020, 11:59 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULA View Post
To lift those large containers, you need a wretch https://www.google.com/search?q=wret...izon&prmd=isnv
I considered doing one for my conex, but my skills aren't quite there yet. That's a ton of weight to handle, even scaled.

-- A