Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 08-26-2018, 04:08 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default VW Type 2, Split-window double cab, 1/16

My 1/14 scale VW Bay-window bus Dickie conversion looked a little lonely, so after much deliberation a Split-window truck was tracked down.

We'll start off with a Maisto Type 2 VW Double-cab pickup truck in "1/16 scale" that sure looks to be the same size as my 1/14 Dickie VW van that i've found specs and done the math on which is exactly 1/14 of real one.

So first off, there's room for improvement. A lot...

But what 50 year old car made it through time exactly how you wanted?

Let's see that smile.

Not a bad starting point.

I was originally thinking something custom like all yellow, or blue over silver, white over green, or white over purple. The deeper into the stock options i looked, the more I like pearl white over mouse gray. Maus Grau ist schon!

First let's start to fix that suspension!
Front starts with a knuckle flip, and some clearancing, but needs the lower mounts milled lower. Rear gets some milling at the chassis to bumper interface. That gets me rear is static here, with that much possible lift at front so far.

Pulling several screws and wiggling the chassis free doesn't seem right for a hobby up-conversion to me. A set of strange head screws are put in at the back body mounts, then the chassis screw posts are modified to take magnets and become pads. The front still will use an original tab and slot.

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

I'm just glad you didn't pick white over blue. The grey is cool. Whatcha planning for wheels?

Psst.... "Motor" is on the wrong side of the gearbox for scale too :P
Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Another Newbie

I do like neptun blau, and my dad had a panel that color... but that's just too close to the bay window.

I dunno about wheels, i'm open to suggestions. I've always really liked these on Steelies with babymoons, Fuchs, Porsche 'gas burners', Empi wide 5 spoke, or empi 8 spoke. Something that looks classic and 'right'. If anybody has a set of pulloff wheels from a Dickie VW, let me know.

Yeah, these damn customizers do things that make no sence. The lack of swingaxle and diff bug me more. It's atleast it's not a motor in the front. Although if that's the biggest complaint a guy with a Split-bus in his shop can come up with, i must have a good base.

Last edited by frizzen : 09-18-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:19 AM
Wasting Time'r

The 1:1 camper is originally Neptune, don't know if its staying or different blue.

Steelies almost always look good, especially if the backs have been widened. 8 spokes look good too.

Swing arm shouldn't be all that difficult to muster if you wanted it. Although I guess size is the limitation. It wouldn't give you a diff but using something like a losi micro trans sideways so you have a wheel per drive shaft would give independent rear on a swing axle... could even set it up with "real men drive on the sidewall" wicked camber .... just stirring the pot a bit more
Old 08-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Another Newbie

Yeah, because those things bother me *so much* right now...

Unless this was the earlier coach built version, it looks like this 'Doka' is somewhere between 1958-61.
The factory Doppelkabine Pritschewagen didn't come out until 1958, and the small Bullet front turnsignals went to the bigger Fisheye signals in 1961.

The taillights are odd since for those years they should have been small round, and they didn't go oval until 1962 and later. It's custom, and owner got tired of people trying to ram it at stops from 'not seeing' tiny lights...
That's a better story than shave them and redo it.
Although a shave and redo could probably use 3mm leds. Probably could make front bullets into 3mm, but the headlights would probably need new lenses made. So not sure it's really worth it.

Last edited by frizzen : 08-30-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:15 AM
Wasting Time'r

So if you don't light it up (if I guess the lenses are in the too hard or couldn't be bothered basket), what would you do to make them look better? Maybe a chrome ring and a smoked tint paint job?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Another Newbie

I want to cut and change windows to clear, then probably some interior. The rear window seems to need the trim shaved, then recut to be shrunk or modded back toward stock, the bed floor needs better/flatter detail. Maybe underbody lights, blue or purple might look good.

Right now i'm still trying to get the servo in, and really hope an esc shows before the meet Sept 14-15 so this can play. Otherwise it has to wait until january to cruise the little streets.

And then some time much later, i'm gonna finish research on 1960s tilt deck or ramp loading car-hauler trailers. I'm really liking the single-axle racecar haulers that could pull with a sedan, station wagon, or truck. Because i think this would be cool rolling down the strip.

Tin toy that as best i can tell was made in japan by Bandai, sometime in the 60s. Oh yes, i needed a static trailer load.

I already don't do scale trucking 'right' with having No Semis yet, let's keep it rolling with more weird trailers!

Last edited by frizzen : 09-05-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Big pic
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 AM
Wasting Time'r

You know, I almost posted a pic of a candy blue bus towing a matching bug on a car hauler. Would definitely look good behind your pickup .... got me wondering what 60s trailers looked like if they were different?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Another Newbie

I hadn't really thought of doing them as Twins. I figured the beetle probably wasnt getting changed much, atleast until i know more about the collector values.
Maybe replace broken windshield, or put new rubber belt on engine, maybe fix antenna hole in fender. A proper decklid maybe with standoff hinges might be good, or hang a chrome aircooled with open headers, but it's pretty stock and looks nice.

The 1960s car haulers i'm leaning toward are more of a Single-axle light weight tube trailer that's really not all that much more than a set of ramps, spreader bars, and a tongue. Axle sets center or further aft to get it balanced for that car and keep tongue weight happy.

I guess having a trailer all comes back to *can i get the ride height up enough* to tow anything? I did a little more rear body lift at the bumper/chassis, and I've basically run out of adjustment. Next would be slamming the transaxle through the chassis. I don't know if she can get enough air under to not have a goofy unsafe looking tongue angle.

Going off motor size, this Split should have more power than the Bay-window, i dunno how much more weight that one could manage.
-
The bay is good for a teardrop, and that's about it. Cd-rom drives tray in/out motor isn't really up to bus and trailer, on hills or bridges. So, probably still pretty scale.

Last edited by frizzen : 09-15-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:36 AM
Another Newbie

I need more speed.

Truescale-rc got me hooked up with some traffic cones, a toolbox, and a set of wheel ramps

The chrome dual-port VW engine in the bed is actually an old Avon aftershave "dunebuggy" bottles cap cover.

Last edited by frizzen : 09-15-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Wasting Time'r

I thought the engine was a nice touch, solidified its role as shop truck / parts getter.

Were the cones to warn other drivers about the "broken down lawnmowers" at the side of the road? (Hehehe)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Another Newbie

I was amazed the engine was the right scale, i also took a 426 hemi in 1/18, but didn't load it in anything.

Haha, My VWs fought a war, your Honda mows lawns.

Around here you throw cones to stop parking, warn that stuff is being worked on, or make sure people do pre-trip checks.

His garage really made me wish i'd brought the 2001 Subaru Imprezza rally, it would have looked so sweet parked in front.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Wasting Time'r

Ha-ha my mate fights a war every time he tries to start his T2 bus
Old 09-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Another Newbie

Does the split bus in the shop have the round tail lights, or the ovals?

I think you're gonna like the latest body work, but there was a pretty big concession to the custom thing because i know i can't get all the lowrider out of it anyway.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 AM
Wasting Time'r

The bus in the shop isn't a split, its a 75 bay window, its got the big rectangular ones

The split 56 I restored for a mate has small round lights