Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 06-26-2020, 05:04 AM
I never leave, but my wife did!

Member Number: 4273
B/S/T Feedback: (2)
Default Hercules hobby truck review

I made a review of the Hercules hobby, tamiya clone.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Styrene apprentice

Member Number: 5663
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Thanks for the info. Great videos. Sounds like it might be an ok starting point for custom builds if we go with a third party gearbox? How is the fit and precision of the other parts? Any badly tapped chassis holes?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:26 AM

The rest of the truck is ok. I've been driving it for a week now and it seems to be happy. The gearbox is ok to but I had to change that shaft like said in the vid. But ya I'm thinking after market transmission, and make it 6wd . But I think I need to change all the axles for that I dont think the axles are the same gearing as a tamiya .
Old 07-04-2020, 05:34 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

I finally got a chance to watch those, nice review.

If you were looking at the kit as just a 'donor chassis' for something, without caring about their body at all, does it seem worth it for the included bearings and remote diff lock option VS just getting the cheapest Tamiya semi kit?

I know you mentioned some issues with the 3-spd. The tranny shaft tolerance issue could be fixed with some 800+ grit sandpaper, drill, calipers, grease. If it's not a hardened shaft and getting wear that soon, it's more concerning. Pretty soon it moves into just buy an R2 trans, or a Tamiya someone never ran because they wanted a Daycab.

How are the Axles? Driveshafts? Steering angle?
Tire & Rim differences / interchangibility to tamiya?
Frame rail length?
Old 07-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Styrene apprentice

Member Number: 5663

I've actually been looking at the Hercules hobby Scania cab with opening doors, as there are sellers on ebay selling the cab and doors separately. Might cut down several weeks or months on a crew cab conversion if I ever do another fire truck. Buy the cab, extra set of doors, maybe the Scania 730 addons and the mirror kit, and it should be pretty quick.
My biggest issue with HH is the lack of info on them. I'd love to find out the gearing ratio of the stock HH axles, but even more on the HH metal driven steering axle. I'm a bit concerned of the diff internals though, with that gearbox shaft wear.

edit: I just noticed there are no glass in the door windows. Is that correct? Might these bodies actually be based on the Bruder cabs?
edit again: The mirrors on the Bruder Scania and the HH Scania certainly look the same (and not at all like the Verkerk / Lesu third party mirrors).
Could you please give us some measurements on the cab, if you have time? No rush.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I finally got a chance to watch those, nice review.

If you were looking at the kit as just a 'donor chassis' for something, without caring about their body at all, does it seem worth it for the included bearings and remote diff lock option VS just getting the cheapest Tamiya semi kit?

I know you mentioned some issues with the 3-spd. The tranny shaft tolerance issue could be fixed with some 800+ grit sandpaper, drill, calipers, grease. If it's not a hardened shaft and getting wear that soon, it's more concerning. Pretty soon it moves into just buy an R2 trans, or a Tamiya someone never ran because they wanted a Daycab.

How are the Axles? Driveshafts? Steering angle?
Tire & Rim differences / interchangibility to tamiya?
Frame rail length?
Well I've been driving it around for a week, it seems to be a happy little truck. The wheels are the same as tamiya the front axle is actually a little better none of the slop that's on the tamiya. I fixed the doors by useing some really strong magnets. As a cheep kit to make a custom truck yep it would be great for that . The body isnt bad I think if you got the one without the opening doors it would be a 8/10 . I want to get the locker kit and test that out to. I think over all it's a good truck , could be better but over all it's ok, only time will tell.