Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Man that sucks harder than vacuuming up bowling balls.. I'd say exactly what i think of YouTube and their tactics but it's not polite to say that many four letter words.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 AM
JOE

Member Number: 1683

Wanna see some sick utube monetary stats... came across this link the other day

https://socialblade.com/youtube/
Old 02-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Wasting Time'r

I am pretty sure I don't want to know what they posted to get 60 trillion views.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM
JOE

Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 AM
Wasting Time'r

Apparently a round boulder doesn't fit in a square hole
Old 02-10-2019, 06:12 AM
JOE

And that rock was rather porous too, I'm sure it would've crumbled easily.

I dropped the pup, then bound the two B50's together on a DX8 radio & drove them up the incline simultaneously.

I learned something from this video... 4 brushed motors on one esc, like a front loader or tractor, works fine; but 6 motors on one esc in the ADT, kinda wonky!

I always thought since the 1st run of the newer B50 that it didn't seem to pull the incline quite right; and now without the pup I see why. Time for some rewiring.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 PM
JOE

Maybe next month have a vid of the lil screener; vibra screening large lumps & rocks right now.

If you noticed in the last video @9.10, the painted cab ADT struggled to get out of the hole? Reason being, all the weight on the middle axle and much less weight on front & rear axles allowing them to spin easily, stealing all the power leaving the middle axle with no power.

This B50 has a 2x25 Sabertooth in it b/c it was pulling a pup & I wanted separate power between the two axle groups for turning... now I've wired the middle axle to the 2nd motor driver and the front & rear axles on the 1st motor driver. The DIP switch on Sabertooth left in Independant Drive, radio mixed the two Sabertooth channels... problem solved! It'll likely walk up the long dirt ramp out of the basement better than it ever did before too.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM
JOE

I put new teeth on my digging bucket June 2015, I was noticing the other day how much they've worn... same narrow teeth as the 450 bucket... about 4mm shorter now.

Sharpened them up with the side grinder this morning

Getting the south side soaked up to chimney this week.

North side has been drying the last 10 days, now I can drive on the surface & not gum up my tracks with muddy clay.

Ripped a straight edge.

Start the next cut trying to keep a level bench.

Getting some screening done.

Do some crushing next month, if the lumps are dry enough that it doesn't clog up my crusher plates.

Did some hauling a few days ago, my mod with re-powering the B50 axles didn't work as well as I had hoped, get a lot of weight on the center axle & it still doesn't have enough umf!! to get over the hump. A thought just come to me now... center axle is Slave on the mix, so maybe if I jack it to 120% so center axle pushes harder ... and I need to re-glue my tires to rims with that black tar crap again , I can see them slipping... yucky stuff to mess with.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 AM
Wasting Time'r

Wonder how many work hours those teeth have done over the 3.5 years? A heck of a lot I'd be guessing.

I saw the bit in the video where it struggled on the ramp. I realise you're working through the power delivery issues but simple me said you should put some more dirt on the little step up to make the slope easier to negotiate the bump.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:31 PM
JOE

Scraped up the last of the dirt pile down to the gravel underneath (about an inch depth on 10'x20' area) in front of house in summer 2015 & dug the tunnel of about 28 cy in winter 2015-16... just started using digging bucket again in December 2018, prior year was moving all that cultivated dirt from tunnel with big GP buckets & rotary screener... steel teeth, but just laser cut from cold rolled steel.

Indeed, a longer slope & wetter dirt so it'll pack for a better surface, better grip... even going up the ramp out of basement, it's not perfectly level & any bit of a hump noticeably slowed it down... the other ADT with an esc for each BL motor, very steady - even power throughout, no matter the obstacle it travels over. Experiment with radio programming & Sabertooth, maybe I can get the brushed motors to work better.

I really didn't like the brushless set up b/c each esc needed to be tuned separately, then groups of 4 wires for tandem axle soldered together from all esc's, then paired correctly in cab with front axle, and the outrunner bell within the axle tube, gotta make sure all 6 motor wires in each axle are pulled tight & secured so the bell doesn't rub off the wire insulation & cause a short circuit... that happened with one motor & blew the esc too! ...but, once I got the BL set up tuned & working properly, it's works pretty decent! Pros & Cons
Old 02-21-2019, 03:43 PM
JOE

Scraped up the last of the dirt pile down to the gravel underneath (about an inch depth on 10'x20' area) in front of house in summer 2015 & dug the tunnel of about 28 cy in winter 2015-16... just started using digging bucket again in December 2018, prior year was moving all that cultivated dirt from tunnel with big GP buckets & rotary screener... steel teeth, but just laser cut from cold rolled steel.

Indeed, a longer slope & wetter dirt so it'll pack for a better surface, better grip... even going up the ramp out of basement, it's not perfectly level & any bit of a hump noticeably slowed it down... the other ADT with an esc for each BL motor, very steady - even power throughout, no matter the obstacle it travels over. Experiment with radio programming & Sabertooth, maybe I can get the brushed motors to work better.

I really didn't like the brushless set up b/c each esc needed to be tuned separately, then groups of 4 wires for tandem axle soldered together from all esc's, then paired correctly in cab with front axle, and the outrunner bell within the axle tube, gotta make sure all 6 motor wires in each axle are pulled tight & secured so the bell doesn't rub off the wire insulation & cause a short circuit... that happened with one motor & blew the esc too! ...but, once I got the BL set up tuned & working properly, it's works pretty decent! Pros & Cons
Old 02-23-2019, 03:14 AM
Wasting Time'r

I did see the difference in that video of the two driving. Was like chalk and cheese. I reckon the lumpy hill is just the excuse you need to throw together a grader and heavy roller... Gotta do these things right ya know 😉
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 PM
JOE

I got an idea for a grader that I'll tackle maybe in June... already have a packer.

Been playing with the settings again today & still not getting the even pulling power from the brushed motors anything like the brushless... keep tinkering.

Finished up the north cut yesterday

This'll be the last pass in the NE to do, next month maybe

Today I worked at cleaning up this big mess under the stairs

These rocks to go to the crusher

These rocks go to the pile in the lean-to, to be hauled away in my Ranger this summer.

Used the lowboy too to cart out these cement blocks & wood

Load too heavy for 8wd, had to give it a push by hand some of the way

This load of rock was too heavy for the brushed motors, had to give it a helping hand up the dirt ramp too, but the trk backed up the steep crusher ramp on its own... making me wonder if I reverse the motor leads on the Sabertooth, reverse direction in radio programming, maybe I'll have more power going forward then ...the Sabertooth is at the back of the cab below the steering cyls, I'd have to pull all the guts out of the trk to get to it.

Brushed trk got demoted to garbage hauler

Brushless trk hauled the next 6 loads of rock out to the crusher

7 trk loads

Used the 450 bucket to hand bomb a sample into the mini crusher... an rc activity for the JD450 next week.

Gonna try & break these cement blocks with the Premacon jackhammer using the newer JD850, it has a 4th valve in it, just need to make a quick coupler plate to mount it.

The 1st load of rock, I started to dump half the load into crusher & jammed it about 10 seconds, had to dig all the rocks out to get crusher moving again... dropped the rocks in by hand a few at a time after that. Made a couple vids while I was at it.

This quick vid, one really hard rock that I was playing catch with... and the last rock jammed & I stopped the vid. After I got the rock out, I dropped in again & it broke right away...

Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 AM
JOE

I spent the weekend carving out the 2nd pass on SE corner

Some problems with the 850 that have been increasing over the last couple weeks... too much freeplay in the swing, erratic power in the tracks & a hydraulic leak... stripped it to a lot pieces yesterday & made a shopping list sent to Frank this morning.

Need a new slip ring

New wiring... green oxidizing on the wires & they're pretty stiff too. Checked resistance, 1 to 2 ohms.

Set screws on pinion gear came loose, but also a lot of side play in the planetary shaft again... gonna try using a 6x15 ball bearing in place of the hard bearing.

But before I take that apart I try to figure out the hyd leak... some where in the front to do with the boom cylinders... either a bad seal on a fitting or a pin hole in one of the lines or ? ...what a greasy mess in a tight area to clean, lots of electrical cleaner, pressurized air & towels

While waiting for parts from Germany, lots of other dirt work to do

big pile of dirt to haul out from SE corner

another pile from NE

I hope to have my track hoe back together in two weeks to dig this up on the east wall

...hope for the arrival of Spring in a month to get busy farming, last yr it didn't come till Arpil 20th, then a mad scramble through May... I hope it comes sooner this yr.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 PM
JOE

Getting some work done on the old JD850 last few days... pulled the boom off to get a better unobstructed view of the boom lines to look for a leak.

I capped the lines of the stick & bucket with Tamiya sized screws that fit snuggly to keep the oil from dripping everywhere... when I turned on the pump to pressure up boom cyls in both directions to see if a neoprene line had a pin hole, oil was coming out the other 4 lines past the screws ... that shouldn't do that I pulled servos off & tried to hand center the valves, but the oil continued to flow... internal sealing issues And the bucket valve (bottom valve in pic) has noticeably more oil atop it, I think that's where the leak is from. I'm gonna change all neoprene lines to new as well.

Fortunately I got a spare 3 valve on hand & it's a steel one too.

I cut open one of the oil filters, some grit in it

It's so nice to now have a bigger mill to work on some of this stuff... my newer JD850 that I built the summer of '16, I drilled the swing motor hole large enough so the pinion gear would pass through, for the reason if I had any trouble with swing motor/gear I don't have separate the house from the u/c to get it apart... the mini mill I had before with a much smaller vise, the work piece popped out & I broke a very expensive drill bit ...simple job to do this time around I also slotted the 3mm holes a bit further to get tighter adjustment of pinion to crown gear

Got a new boom a couple yrs ago.. the old boom, upon close inspection, the steel shows very little signs of wear, but rather it's the GFR that is completely broken away from both sides is why the hole is so much bigger. When the kit was new in 2010, the left side of pivot, the GFR was broke out showing the plate steel. I tried to make it as good as new with JB Weld...

Cleaning/repainting all the cylinders

And a quick sand/wash/paint on these two items

I hope my goody box from Germany shows up before the wkend, it's been in transit since last Tuesday... could have the old JD850 running again Sunday.