Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage View Post
Thanks for the offer! I appreciate it! But honestly the blocks on the front are starting to grow on me. I like the character it gives. And since they were a feature on some XJ stock front bumpers I think they can stay.

But maybe you can help me out with something else? I'm new to 3D printing. That bumper was the first thing I ever printed. Can you tell me why this happens and how I can fix it?

This has happened on both of the print attempts for the cross bars on the roof rack and I'm at a bit of a loss.
no worries on the bumper, but it would give you options. lol

as for the crossbars.. without seeing how they were oriented on the build plate, it is kind of hard to say, but my guess is you need support under them..

orientation is everything with 3d printing.. if there is empty space under something, you probably want to use supports if you cant reorient it.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 15933

e-mail rc4wd and see if this will fit your wheel
https://store.rc4wd.com/19-5-Lug-Ste...ub_p_2629.html
Old 03-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 6280

Unfortunately those won't fit. The bolt spacing is too wide and the 'ring' on the front is too big.

These 10-oval steelies seem to have a different bolt pattern and inner ring diameter than any other RC4WD wheel. That figures.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 AM
Wasting Time'r

Well, I think I give up on the steelies. I'll use them for another project later or sell them, one or the other. Instead, I picked up a set of these.

Which, ironically, is kind of the same look I was aiming for with the steelies. These also have a positive offset but it's not as dramatic as the steelies, plus they're hexes by default so that gives me some room to play.

They're 1.9s so that's a little bit bigger than scale but it should still look great. I'll be using 1.7" Patagonias so that should look good and have a stock-ish tire diameter.

Also got my Tamiya driver, and it fits great in the lexan interior. I'll have to cut the driver's side floor out a bit but that's no problem at all.

Lastly, made some changes to the front suspension.

Because yellow shocks are sexy. They're 70mm but I got the same ride height I did with the 60s by moving them up to the top holes on the Boom Racing shock towers. I used regular RC4WD 60mm scale shocks on the back and took the springs out to let the leaf springs do all the work back there. I'm also still looking for a front spring that I'm happy with. Everything I try is too hard or too soft. I need a bit harder than the Tamiyas I had since the Titan 21-turn 550 is a heavy little mill.

Moving right along.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (16)

I like the looks of the front suspension...

The pic of the 1.7 rims reminded me of the railroad trucks designed to run on train tracks. Very narrow width offset.

I was going to suggest these narrow rims from Boom Racing.

They have a hex designed hub and the 1.7 tires could be stretched on for a better fit. But...I really like those actual Jeep rims you found...seriously...those are sweet.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:16 AM
Wasting Time'r

Not a lot to report while I wait for new rolling stock.

I did get the finalized ride height I was looking for, I think. I'll have to see when the new tires come in. Right now it's sitting on some old Tamiya BFGs. The 1.7 Patagonias are a little bit smaller but not a lot. Once I get the flares on there it should fill in the fender gap a bit.

To get the ride height where I wanted it I had to move the axle above the leaf springs in the rear. I also used the longer shocks back there because in doing so I had to turn the axle up-side down. The 70mm shocks fit perfectly at that new position.

Also got the interior trimmed and in place and mounted in the body. I'm going to paint the underside of the interior black, it's currently white. Then I'm going to remove the overspray film and shoot the whole thing with a matte clear. Also, the Tamiya Bruiser driver fits like a glove. Seriously, fits in the driver's seat like it was made for it. I had to cut the floor out but other than that, the contour of the seat fits the mold of the driver's body perfectly..

More coming soon™ as parts keep coming in.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:06 AM
Wasting Time'r

Small update while I'm still waiting for wheels and tires.

I did find a front driveshaft that works. This is the optional front driveshaft for a MST chassis. Now I actually (if only by a hair's width) clear the trans case with full up-travel, even if I did have to trim the trans case just a little bit too. It looks like a great driveshaft. Very solid. I also had to trim the output shaft on the transfer case and the input shaft on the axle just a bit to get the set screw to go through.

I also started doing body work. This is my first time using a hobby-quality filler on a plastic body but I think so far so good. Filled in the pre-drilled holes for the included flares (since I'll be using the OEM-styled flares) and the rear 'door handles' that were very oddly out of place on a 2-door. Also filled in the spot on the hood where the hood vents would go.

Hoping to lay down the first coats of primer this weekend.

And lastly, to get the ride height I wanted I had to do an axle-over swap on the rear.

I know some people do axle-overs on real trucks. What're the advantages and disadvantages of axle-over vs axle-under?
Old 04-14-2020, 03:20 AM
Wasting Time'r

Finally got the wheels in. Tires got lost in the mail so I'm waiting for another set directly from RC4WD.

They look so damn good. These wheels have a slight positive offset but it's not much. They also don't have a lot of axle shaft to play with as far as using thicker hexes so I'm counting on the tires being a few mm wider than the wheels, which they should be.

I should be laying down primer in the next day or so. The body's just sitting on the chassis, not properly mounted since I took the mounts off to prep it for paint.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Up to no good

Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (16)

Looking good so far.

As for your axle-over swap, it will reverse the drive rotation. You can still do the swap but keep the original orientation by putting spacers between the axle mounts and the spring. By using different sized spacers, you can change the pinion angle to be more straight with the drive shaft.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 05:51 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willezcr8 View Post
Looking good so far.

As for your axle-over swap, it will reverse the drive rotation. You can still do the swap but keep the original orientation by putting spacers between the axle mounts and the spring. By using different sized spacers, you can change the pinion angle to be more straight with the drive shaft.
That's exactly what I ended up doing, just like that. I bought a plastic standoff kit for quadcopters awhile back and it came with a ton of little tiny 1mm M3 nuts and they make awesome spacers.

I got my tires in today and got the 3rd coat of primer on the body. I had to sand the body a bit and recoat when I wasn't happy with some areas but I think the end result turned out really nice.

After I give the primer +-24 hours to dry I'm going to mask off the windows and paint the inside of the body black to match the interior. I also want to find some headliner material that matches the seats on the interior. The interior is lexan and was prepainted, but I peeled the overspray film off and hit the 'top' with a matte clear to dull the gloss down a bit. Turned out good!

Buddy who paints all kinds of miniatures from 40k figures to pilots for RC planes is painting my driver right now. I can't wait to see how that turns out.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Wasting Time'r

Moving right along.

This used a lot of paint. Pretty much the entire can. I've got s'more on the way for the rest of the body's components. Interior is painted black, rocker panels will be painted matte black as well. The body will be coated in a gloss clear and the rocker panels and bumpers in a matte clear.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:33 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

I love that wheels and tires setup! Looks awesome and stock.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Wasting Time'r

Paint's on and the 3-stage followed. Still have to spray the matte black when it gets here but I really like the way it came out. You can see your reflection in it. That's all I can ask for.

I had the hardest time wetsanding it. I did like 6 coats of red and 4 coats of clear. Every guide said to start with 1,000, then 2,000 for the color and then 1k, 2k, 3k for the clear but the moment anything under 3,000 even thought about touching the paint it was back down to white plastic and I was starting over again. Very frustrating. But in the end I really like the results.It may not be factory-fresh but it looks good for a 30 year-old Jeep.

Also I couldn't help but mock it up on the chassis, which is eagerly awaiting the body's completion.

Matte black paint should be here next week some time for the rocker panels, bumpers, grille and fender flares. Also have rubber XJ mirrors coming.

Coming along!
Old 04-25-2020, 01:59 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Wow, it's a bronco length Cherokee. Don't think i've seen a real one done in that style yet, that's pretty wild.

The bodywork looks great, and those wheels look perfect for the Early XJ!!!

If you need any detail pics from a Late XJ, just ask.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:55 AM
Wasting Time'r

Thanks! I'm definitely going for the early look. I've got the OEM flares for the early XJ too. I just wish the doors were proper length. Someone with some styrene experience could probably do it easily but that person ain't me.

Got quite a bit more done tonight.

Interior's in. It's a lexan interior. I shot it with a couple coats of matte clear to try to take some of the shine off of it. It did a pretty good job I think.

Windows still have to go in, have to do the lights and lenses, have to finalize the front and rear ride height and I'm still waiting on a set of soft Tamiya springs for the front to see if those work out better than what's on there now. Fender flares will probably go on tomorrow and I'll play around with hexes to get the width I want once those are on. Also a buddy's painting the driver figure for me and that's not done yet.

And yeah the wheels absolutely make it. I wanted to go with 1.7s since in 1/9th scale that's a proper 15" wheel, but these are 1.9s and they're sick. I couldn't pass them up. Legit OEM XJ wheels..

More to come in the coming days, hopefully.