Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Tips, Tricks, FAQs
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQs Painting tips, building tips, How To's, ETC

Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Insert Custom Title Here

Member Number: 499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Has anyone used the Traxxas 100k diff oil or similar (xtm, etc)? What effect does it have? Does it leak out? For those of you with locked diffs, can you still drive your truck on the street? Are you still able to steer it?

EDIT: Well, I locked one of the diffs in my clod with hot glue. Seems like it might work well. Don't have the truck all back together yet to try it. But my diffs were so free spinning before that I think I really like the way it crawls now.

Last edited by sanddrag : 06-30-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:13 AM
git 'er done!

Member Number: 298

oil? yes, it'll leak out unless you have a sealed diff, which no crawler nowadays does. plus it won't slow up the diff action enough to be usefull. yes, you'll be able to steer the truck on the street, but it'll be harder to get turned around in a tight space. try silly putty. that's what I plan on doing to the center diff in my chaos so that I actualy have 4 wheel braking. unless, ofcourse, the diffs are sealed, then it's the thickest diff oil I can find.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

yeah you need properly sealed diffs to run diff oil. even diff lock lube which is more of a semi solid gel will leak out over time as Tamiyas diffs and most hobby grade gear diffs for 1/10th cars are not liquid tight. most 1/18th buggies have diffs designed for such lube tho. I just dont know many that crawl....

with both diffs locked you will be able to drive on pavement and turn, however your turning circle will be larger, and you run the risk of snapping driveshafts - this is because the wheels need to turn at different rates, so without a diff, one tyre needs to scrub to do this and tarmac generally gives too much traction for this, so something else has to give and its usually the driveshafts.

IMO only lock the diffs for pure crawling or soft surfaces, if you want to run on tarmac, open diffs and street tyres would be better; but then why use a clod just for onroad?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:22 PM
A Master in My Own Mind

Member Number: 237

I tried Rikpal's idea of plumber's putty in the front diff of my CC01. It seems to work quite well though the turning radius was noticible wider, but probably not as bad as if I'd totally locked it up. I ran it for an hour today and it does seem to be slightly less stiff now but there is still a very noticible "limited slip" effect.

David
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Insert Custom Title Here

Member Number: 499

I locked the diffs in my Clodzilla IV with hot glue and it works great. It is twice the truck it used to be. It climbs like crazy now. Now I wish I had a little more torque from my motors.

The great thing is that my tires are not glued so they are able to slip just a slight bit if they need to, so it isn't like a fully locked setup. It is wonderful.

And surprisingly, it still turns decently, even on pavement.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 AM
RCMT'er

Member Number: 806

I just tried this DAP 33 window glazing compound and packed it in nice and tight filling it as best I could before closing.

After a first test run it seems perfect, not totaly locked, but stiff enough to not allow much if any wheelspin

of course we shall see what happens in time, but right now installed in a new, unoiled diff it appears perfect

Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
RCMT'er

Member Number: 806

I drove it again, put it against a wall and it acted like a posi or locked rear spinniing both rear tires.
Then I jammed 1 rear wheel and the other turned.
Climbing over a curb lifting 1 rear wheel, and it doesn't spool instead acts like it's a locked rear and powers over.

I'll post again after a few more runs, but so far looks good.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 1090

They sell glue mouse traps in the US. They are extremely cruel. Usually the mouse or rat will break bones trying to escape, and takes hours to die.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Las Vegas Scale Crawlers

Member Number: 218
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

I'm going to try q-tips in my XC's front diff. Just chop off the top. How cheap am I?

As for the glue traps, we used them all the time in the desert to catch mice. Where there are mice, soon there will be Camel Spiders. So once the trap was full, which didn't take long, it was disposed of in different ways.

Anyways I fitted a few q-tip heads into the front diff and it works just fine. Just becareful not to cover the hole that the small little metal piece has to travel thru or you might bend it when you put the diff back together. I'm speaking from experience too. Put this down as a removable way to lock your diff.

Last edited by minijosh : 11-11-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Form Over Function

Member Number: 683

Josh, use the spider-gear method. Ever cheaper
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

for my tlt and txt diffs i used this stuff i got off ebay, morph-plast. its small plastic bb's when put in hot water become moldable and pliabe, i just jammed as many as i could in the diffs and poked it down into the teeth with a small allen. so far its solidly locked in the tlt, have yet to run the txt axles. the center diff in my tlt i removed the balls and ran 2 nuts and bolts through the whole thing, quick cheap and easy. i got some stuff from badhorsie, or somthing, called limited slip diff lube, i got another set of txt axles im gonna try that on. i just built a pede tranny, i used tamiya liquid thread lock in the diff on that. happened to see some in the tool box while i was building it and wondering how to lock it up, seems to work so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Morph-plast-reus...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Thorsteenster : 11-11-2006 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added morph-plast link
Old 11-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't have time to work on any of my projects

Member Number: 1161
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

I have used this method on some of my nitro and electric rides it doesnt lock your diff completely but gives you a good LSD effect. Take RTV silicone insert into diff about 7/8 full then remainder of room left fill with some type of silicone shock fluid. reasemble and spin the diff to get it mixed well. If you do it right the RTV silicone wil never harden and act like a LSD forever I use this method in my HPI MT2SS and Super nitro rally
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULA View Post
Wrong thread maybe What just happened?
read the whole thread, or maybe reread it......
Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Dorifto'r

Member Number: 1485

There are two other ways that are not permanent:
Ball diff:Put screw through the pressure plates(note you need spare pressure plates)
Bevel/gear diff:blu tack or putty jammed in between the spaces (stops you from munching gears)
Old 08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 1090

I put silly putty in my TA01 gear diff. You have to stuff the diff with silly putty, or else it will hold for a little while, then be completely loose. It's not fully locked. I can turn the wheels independently by hand.. but on pavement the wheels just scrub. Maybe with much bigger tires it would act in a semi-locked manner