Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Tips, Tricks, FAQs
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQs Painting tips, building tips, How To's, ETC

Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM

Member Number: 1459
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Struggling with 4 link on CC01

Ok, so I decided to try and tackle the rear 4 link tonight and I have gotten nowhere. All of the tutorial links that come up in the search have dead pictures. Can someone post up some pics of their 4 link on a XC/CC01 chassis?

The trouble I am having specifically is limited movement. I cut the lowers the same length eye to eye as the stock links, and from what I read, the bottom shock eye slips on to the link. But when I do that, it seems like the axle is now captive and is only allowed a very little amount of movement. Is there something I'm missing about shock location?
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 89

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...?t=7200&page=2

Thats my XC build thread (page 2). There are some decent pics of my 4 link there. I can get more detailed ones if you wish. I put my shocks behind the axel on an alum bracket that is simmilar to the original design.

Hope this helps!
Tony
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 1152
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8586

I had the same problem as you. You can see 2 different 4linksetups I used, the better one of the 2 is closer to the bottom of the first page. I actually used the stock locations for the links on the axles, and this keeps the axle from floating around as much as some other setups. I used some Traxxas Maxx links for the bottom with some aluminum tubing to hold the shocks in place, then I used other links I had left over from the steering on an old nitro rustler for the top links.

Once I got it setup, i have to take a ruler and measure the bottoms to make sure they were identical lengths, and then did the same with the top to make sure the axle is centered perfectly, and not cocked to one side.

Still havent run the truck yet.... but I know it will work perfectly just from playing with it by hand, working the suspension, etc...

Hopefully that gives you something to go by.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM
The Scale Shop

Member Number: 1526

Mike?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Mike?
yep.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 AM

HOLY Long Wheelbase Batman!!!

I can see how it would work much better with the links being that long. I think the problem I am having is my wheelbase is much shorter, so the shock lands right where the link meets the axle and is at a rearward angle.

Does 4linking the rear of the CC01 actually improve the articulation? What I mean is it is already 4linked with stock parts, so is there a benefit to using a different type of links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8586

I had the same problem as you. You can see 2 different 4linksetups I used, the better one of the 2 is closer to the bottom of the first page. I actually used the stock locations for the links on the axles, and this keeps the axle from floating around as much as some other setups. I used some Traxxas Maxx links for the bottom with some aluminum tubing to hold the shocks in place, then I used other links I had left over from the steering on an old nitro rustler for the top links.

Once I got it setup, i have to take a ruler and measure the bottoms to make sure they were identical lengths, and then did the same with the top to make sure the axle is centered perfectly, and not cocked to one side.

Still havent run the truck yet.... but I know it will work perfectly just from playing with it by hand, working the suspension, etc...

Hopefully that gives you something to go by.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 AM
The Scale Shop

Member Number: 1526

damn you! ive been eyeing a tourege for a week now! well i guess ill just wait to see yours!
lets see some pics! what you got planed for body?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeeder View Post
HOLY Long Wheelbase Batman!!!

I can see how it would work much better with the links being that long. I think the problem I am having is my wheelbase is much shorter, so the shock lands right where the link meets the axle and is at a rearward angle.

Does 4linking the rear of the CC01 actually improve the articulation? What I mean is it is already 4linked with stock parts, so is there a benefit to using a different type of links?

As far as better articulation than stock... couldnt tell you as I never ran it stock.

Having a shorter wheelbase would make it more difficult and most likely impossible to to link the rear as I did. You may be better off cutting a piece of aluminum and attaching it where my upper links attach to the axle. From there you can move the links inward toward the center of the axle.

Using a Ball right on the pumkin was Just way too sloppy in my opinion.

As far as long wheelbase, its ~12inches, whatever the C-10 is, really not that much longer than it was for the Touareg body. ~1 inch I think, but I guess at this scale that is alot. Regardless, it looks good IMO, and thats what I was after, a Scale looking C-10.

I am working on 2 F-100's right now, a 2.2 tuber, and a 1.9 using tlt axles on both.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:

As far as long wheelbase, its ~12inches, whatever the C-10 is, really not that much longer than it was for the Touareg body. ~1 inch I think, but I guess at this scale that is alot. Regardless, it looks good IMO, and thats what I was after, a Scale looking C-10.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think your truck looks good at that wheelbase. My wheelbase however is on the shortest from the factory, so like 9.5 or something close to that. My axle is tucked way up under there.

I am still looking for other pictures of 4 link setups, from some of you XC veterans out there, if you got some. Even a link to your specific build thread would get me in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think your truck looks good at that wheelbase. My wheelbase however is on the shortest from the factory, so like 9.5 or something close to that. My axle is tucked way up under there.

I hear ya, that makes it Difficult to put links on the top of the axle.

I went to the trouble of making a plate that I could bolt the top links too on the chassis to triangulate them from the stock position on the axle. That would probably solve your shock clearance problem, however I gave up when I realized I made this without the driveshaft installed, so I ran into interference with that, however, a shorter WB may not be affected by this problem, at least not as much, especially if you using the stock shaft vs. a MAXX shaft like me. I will get some pics tonight if I can find the piece I made.

Basically it was a square of styrene, (was gonig to make aluminum if styrene worked out) that bolted to all four of the upper link mounting locations on th chassis. Then under it you could either bolt on a TLT shock/suspension mount that you could attach the links too, or you could attach the links directly to the styrene/aluminum.

Im sure that sounds confusing without pics... I will do what I can to get some tonight.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 PM

Member Number: 105

Here are some pics of my cc01 with added 4-link. I used cable mount loop thingies to mount my shocks to the links. I got more movement that way.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=474
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
Here are some pics of my cc01 with added 4-link. I used cable mount loop thingies to mount my shocks to the links. I got more movement that way.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=474
Oh, ok, So those are something like what someone would use to run coaxial cable or something... not a bad idea, how strong are they? Seems too me that they would twist fairly easily though, but I guess you have have to have thick enough links for it to clamp onto.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Oh, ok, So those are something like what someone would use to run coaxial cable or something... not a bad idea, how strong are they? Seems too me that they would twist fairly easily though, but I guess you have have to have thick enough links for it to clamp onto.
They are strong. Alot of people use them on their super crawlers ris as shocl mounts. they come in differing I.D.. It actually helps relieve binding if the do twist a bit. I just put a wheel collar on the link to keep the shock from sliding up and down the link.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
I just put a wheel collar on the link to keep the shock from sliding up and down the link.

Where did you get this wheel collar you speak of?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Where did you get this wheel collar you speak of?
Lowes/Home Depot in the electrical section... near the zip ties if I remeber right.