Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Monsters of R/C
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Monsters of R/C If its massive, ain't scale, and can break an ankle when it hits you, put it here!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Three .001 on every moving part.

Member Number: 2344
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Penguin r/c, Tamiya TLT-1 "Rockbuster"

Tamiya
RC TLT-1 Rock Buster - TLT1 Item #47201
TA04 Hard Front UprightItem #53579
Wheel Spacer (Blue)Item #53646
X4 RC CR01 Toyota Land Cruiser 40 - Wheels (2 pcs) Item#51323
RC Hi-Torque Servo Saver - Black Item #51000
Snap Connector Set Item #50245
(Body for #58231 Wild Dagger) Item #1825188
(Decal Sheet #44025 Mad Bison) Item #9494033
(StickerA/B: for #47201 TLT-1) Item #9404450
TRF Sticker C Item #42164

Penguin R/C
Magnum Performance Chassis for the TLT-1 #P2300r

Parts and Features:
Complete Interlocking Graphite Chassis including:
Left and Right Side Plates, Front and Rear battery/electronics trays, Center Radio Tray (G10 Fiberglass), Front Gearbox Plate, Rear Gearbox Plate, Motor Mount Plate, Spur Shaft Support and Positioning Plate, Removable/Replaceable Center Skid Plate (G10 Fiberglass), Graphite Front Servo Mount Kit.

Compatable with Sub-C batteries (10+ cell capable - 5 on trays)
Velcro Battery Retention System
Lowered CG (Battery Plates are 10mm lower than stock, Motor is 3mm lower)
4oz+ lighter than stock TLT-1.
Increased Rigidity
Centered Differential
Increased Static Ride Height (34mm ride height)
Fan provision for standard 40mm fan (additional motor cooling)

Penguin R/C
P2300rGB Magnum Gearbox for the TLT-1 #P2300rGB

Converts your existing P2300 into a full spec P2300r chassis kit. The main difference to the P2300 via this upgrade is that the entire gearbox is replaced by a gear drive system adapted from Traxxas.

This kit includes all the plates and hardware that you need for conversion, except the gear drive parts which are availible from Traxxas and Tamiya (required parts list is at the botom of this page). The gearbox increases the P2300 drivetrain strength to allow for amazing rock climbing as it eliminates the possibility of belt skip that is associated with the original transmission.

Traxxas
Teflon Wahers 5x8x.5mm (20) PN#1985
Steel Idler Gear (30T) PN#3696
Planetary Differential w/Steel Ring Gear PN#2388x
Steel Top Drive Gear (22T) PN#3195
Slipper Clutch Saft/Roll Pin PN#3793
Slipper Pressure Plate & Hub PN#5556
Slipper Clutch Rebuild Kit PN#5552
Torque-Control Slipper Clutch Spur Gear (90T) PN#4690

Hot Racing
X4 Tamiya TLT-1 Black Alum. 6X53mm Link (2) PN#RCL65301
Lock Diff Hub Spool (Slash, Rustler, Stampede) PN#TE125
18T 48P Steel Pinion Gear (5mm) PN#NSG818

Midwest Products Co. Inc.
Carbon Fiber Tube (.210"OD x .132"ID x 40"(5.3mm x 3.4mm x 1016mm) Weight: .520 grams / inch Stock #5822

HPI
X2 Battery Strap #103682
X2 Mud Thrasher Tires (135x73mm/2pcs) #4894

Axial
X2 SCX10 Crawler Metal Yoke #AX30380
X2 SCX10 Crawler Nylon Drive Shaft #AX80011

Dinky R/C
X2 Tamiya TLT 2-piece Truss Link PN#DINDLOO1

Deans
X2 Battery Assembly Kit PN#2001
Ultra Plug PN#1302

CPE
Stock Clodbuster 4-Link Conversion Kit #CPE-4LCLOD
M3 Conical Washer Set of 16 #CPER-REP6

level3-rc (ebay)
TAMIYA TLT VERTICAL STEERING MOUNT RC CRAWLER 4X4 Part # TA-31-07

Astroflight
7 Turn 05 race motor

Novak
Super Duty XR High-Voltage Reversible ESC #1865
Power Boost ESC Fan Kit #5646
Black Cooling Fan 40X40X10 #5644
XXL Ultra Narrow Band Receiver (FUTABA 75mhz AM) #2575F
Y-Harness Dual Cooling Fan #5611
Mounting Tape (10) #5840
Novak Lead-Free Silver Solder #5832

Pro-Line
X2 Powerstroke Scaler Shocks 90mm-95mm #6060-00

Tower Hobbies
Standard Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo #TS150

Thanks for taking a look - Arco

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Arco, if i am understanding the description correctly, that is a conversion kit to use 'pede internals and it mounts to a stock TLT frame? Never seen one before. (Looks like the stock tranny set-up in the truck though.)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRC1 View Post
Arco, if i am understanding the description correctly, that is a conversion kit to use 'pede internals and it mounts to a stock TLT frame? Never seen one before. (Looks like the stock tranny set-up in the truck though.)
No, sorry for any confusion OldSchool. That Penguin P2300rGB Traxxas Stampede transmission conversion only works with the Penguin P2300 chassis because of it's unique interlocking design. The chassis and transmission goes together like an interlocking puzzle and is held together by the lower skid-plate, upper electronics bed, and the chassis cross-members.

http://www.penguinrc.com/products/tamiya/p2300.html

Two years ago when I bought this truck as a roller, it already had the Penguin P2300 chassis, along with a Vertigo Performance Products TLT-1 center trans hub locker installed. Originally this truck was built around these two hop-ups. It had arrived to me having already been stretched with a modified wheelbase and was pretty much built for rock crawling.

After the first round of modifications that were made one year ago the truck still had the stock Tamiya TLT-1 belt drive trans but now was running on 14 cells.

At this point, a whole bunch of modifications were complete, and the chassis now had Dinky R/C upper 4-link mounts, custom CPE alloy 4-link bars, Pro-Line Power Stroke scaler shocks, a level3 rc alloy servo mount, RC4WD rear hub eliminators, a 7 turn Astro-Flight motor, and a Novak Super Duty XR esc.

Later, after my initial testing, I began to realize that the amount of power that I was trying to put down was making the stock transmission skip. I began thinking about how I was going to address that issue.

In addition to the skipping belt, there was also now an issue with the breaking of internal axle shafts. Something needed to be done if I was to continue down the road of a 16.8 volt monster truck.

Now, Penguin r/c does make a Stampede trans conversion for the P2330 chassis but it also happened to be quite expensive. After a few weeks of weighing the pro's and con's, I actually spied a P2300rGB Magnum Upgrade on ebay NIP. The opening bid started at a good price and was able to win it. After sourcing all the required Traxxas parts, I was able to actually do the complete conversion for around 65 bucks total.

http://www.penguinrc.com/products/tamiya/p2300rgb.html
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM

The Slash transmission has a differential so I ordered a spool from Hot Racing to eliminate that. Simply removed the original planetary gears and outdrives and dropped in the spool.

Here is the completed trans. Took a few extra shims and a little bit of modifying & fussing to get it all together and spinning freely, but it spins nice and smooth now.

The magnum upgrade replaces all the original Penguin & Tamiya TLT belt drive parts shown here.

The instructions include a template so you can make a plastic shield to keep large rocks and debris out of the gear-train.

A test fit to check the assembly for fit and to ensure that the transmission would still spin freely once assembled inside the chassis. Also needed to see if the engine would fit.

The motor fits, but only if I don't use the included motor spacer/stiffener that came with the kit. Also had to install the gear backward because of this. Without the spacer there was a lot of flex in the motor plate. This is where things start to get custom again...

Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 AM

That is a cool tranny upgrade! I've never seen one before - quite ingenious.

Could be mistaken, but is that an old Astroflight motor too?

Very cool build!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
That is a cool tranny upgrade! I've never seen one before - quite ingenious.

Could be mistaken, but is that an old Astroflight motor too?

Very cool build!
@OldSchoolRC1
Thanks. Yes, that is a vintage 7-turn Astroflight Samarium Cobalt motor. The Magnum transmission upgrade is a must for 14 cells.

Tamiya TLT-1 Rockbuster Monster Truck test-run

Here is a video of my original test-run from last August. The truck had the original belt driven transmission w/an alloy spool and Axial AX-10 driveshafts. It was a handful.

youtube;5pZeyqTNzqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZeyqTNzqY

If you took the time to watch the video, you may have heard the belt skipping & slipping under hard acceleration. With the 7 turn motor on 16.8 volts it was pretty hard on the transmission. I never did hit full throttle either, so after filming I carried the truck out into the street to try and see what the top speed would be. The first time I pulled the trigger, the tires hooked-up on the asphalt, and it snapped an axle like a tooth pick. This is the main reason why I decided to make the transmission swap. Now it will have a clutch, no more skipping belt, and as a side benefit... more gearing options... and even after the drivetrain mods/swap the truck still weighs only 7 pounds without batteries on-board. The batteries add almost another two and a half pounds.... :eek

Now... getting back to the TLT-1 Rockbuster build...

After test fitting the engine and realizing that the motor plate spacer/stiffener was not going to fit I removed it and fabricated a custom one out of aluminum angle. While I had the engine removed I went back and installed the homemade dust cover over the gear-train and finally buttoned the chassis up.

The new bracket would be fitted on the front of the motor plate instead of in-between the engine and plate. I also left material on the return side of my bracket so I could tie the plate to the side of the chassis using an existing hole. This modification has really tied everything together and the motor mount no longer has any flex to it at all. Also pictured below you can see the 18 tooth pinion and 90 tooth spur gear that I chose to run. IDK if it is the correct size pinion or not, but there is plenty of room to go larger if need be.

Thanks for checking out the build - Arco
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 AM

Re-installed the 16.8v Novak Super-Duty XR speed control onto it's custom mount mid-chassis. Boy, it sure does take up a lot of room.

Dual Novak cooling fans installed and wired using a Y-harness plugged into the dedicated fan port on the ESC.

Also upgraded to some stiffer Blue Associated shock springs from their Traxxas E-Maxx shock conversion kit.

New clutch & 90T spur gear w/18T pinion gear. Also pictured is the Traxxas VXL Rustler, all steel gear transmission, and custom dirt shield.

Needed to replace the old body as well. To do this properly I had to fabricate some new body mounts. A simple sketch of my design was used as a pattern which I then whittled out of some extruded 3/16 ornamental aluminum. Pictured below the rear mounts that had already been cut and installed.

Thanks for checking out the TLT-1. - Arco
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM

The coolest TLT out there. Glad to see the old guy getting some love.

Rumor of a re-release? I saw Tamiya USA just posted the original TLT video.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

wow!! that is no doubt the coolest tlt to date!!! and i would love to see a rerelease of this awesome truck. I think i have owned 15 or more of them and i would like to get another 15!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
The coolest TLT out there. Glad to see the old guy getting some love.

Rumor of a re-release? I saw Tamiya USA just posted the original TLT video.
Thanks. A re-release? That I don't know. It would be nice. Just checked out the video. Maybe they are hinting at something. I would buy one... or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJEEPBUILDER View Post
wow!! that is no doubt the coolest tlt to date!!! and i would love to see a rerelease of this awesome truck. I think i have owned 15 or more of them and i would like to get another 15!!
Thank you sir. Glad you like the Penguin Rockbuster build. It's a neat little vehicle. I also would love to see a re-release. I have 2 of them that I've built and a couple more waiting to be built someday. There's always room for another! I think I can find a spot.

Let's see now.... The body mount brackets are made from some 1/8 inch ornamental extruded aluminum so they are pretty stiff on their own, but I did make some tubular braces and a radio tray to help stiffen things up even more. To start, I used some 3M spray adhesive to apply the paper pattern then started cutting them out.

Once I had them roughed-out, I used some more of the adhesive and glued the two brackets together in order make them identical. Once the outer shape was finalized, I started measuring and laying out the mounting holes. There are extra holes for the body posts that add a little bit of extra adjustability to the height of the body on the chassis.

After the bracket fabrication was completed, I wet sanded them with 600 grit sand paper to give them a brushed type finish. The rear of the body has pre-drilled holes and they are slotted so I made a large washer from some styrene to help support the body. I also added a brace in the back that I had left over from the chassis. Up front, I added two threaded aluminum tube braces that I had left from a High-Lift brush guard. I had to trim 5mm or so from each side to make them fit and they bolted in nicely.

After test fitting the body again, I went ahead and made a custom radio plate that would help tie the rear mounts together. There was just enough room under the bed to make it work and still leave some space for plenty of batteries. Still need to add a mount for the receiver arial. I think I have a drop piece from all the cutting that will work...

Thanks for checking out the build. - Arco
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Made a rare trip to the local hobby shop to pick-up some painting supplies and a servo extension. Bought a couple cans of paint and vinyl masks to spray the TLT shell. Added that stuff to the list of things like the Tamiya decal sheets and other spray bombs I had on hand that will be used to finish the Penguin R/C TLT-1 build.

Finally did some spray painting...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks for taking a look - Arco
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Excellent as always! Love the color combo...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 PM

1/28/2014 - Got an on the Penguin TLT-1.

http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/product.p...&cat=17&page=1

Last edited by Arcocustom : 01-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM

1/28/2014 continued from the previous post.

http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/product.p...&cat=17&page=1

No more of this...

Got my radio tray, antenna mount, and receiver installed too.

Last edited by Arcocustom : 01-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.