Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 12-07-2005, 09:52 PM

Member Number: 428
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

For all you machinists out there. What is your opinion on this machine?
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=169870

Seems like a good deal to me but I am not totally familiar with machining tools.

Dan
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM
A Master in My Own Mind

Member Number: 237

The website appears to be down, or that link is incorrect. Even entering just houseoftools.com gets me an error page. Chances are it's the same Chinese lathe everybody else sells.

David
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Official Senior Citizen - Where's My Discount?

Member Number: 258

Most people will tell you to get seperate machines if you have the room for them. A combo machine has lots of compromises.

If you have to get this combo machine, it looks pretty standard. There is a Yahoo group for the 3-in-1 machines. You might want to read up on them to see if its what you really want.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

well its a good large(by hobby standards) Lathe with a milling head...

this sort of machine is ideal if you only have room for one machine tool, but it is better to have a seperate Lathe and Mill if you can. the main reason being what takes most time with machine work is changing from one setup to another, so if you had to to turn something on the lathe, mill some part of it and turn it again afterwards you would have to spend alot of time setting up for milling losing the lathe settings, and then having to spend alot of time re-configuring the lathe, but if you had seperate machines you could take work off the lathe, set it on the mill and mill it, and return it to the lathe which is still setup right for that workpeice.

I would however recommend any Lathe you get should be equiped with a T-slot table like that one has, it allows more versatility for lathe work and even allows for some milling work to be carried out on the lathe(more so by fitting a large vertical slide).

I would recommend that you do not spend all you money on the biggest tool you can find unless it happens to come with every accessory you need, you will find a typical lathe comes with a 3 jaw chuck, a dead centre and a couple of lathe tools, typically in addition you will need: a 4 jaw chuck, a live centre, and half centre a fixed steady(a travelling one is nice but of more limited use), and a wide range of tools, a height adjustable toolpost is also essential but you may have to buy a quick change toolpost to get this ability. The Mill is just the same, it typically has a Drill chuck a face cutter (and maybe a vice if your lucky), when you will have to buy a good set of collets and/or a collet chuck to hold endmills, a range of endmills and slot drills, a proper Milling vice(big heavy one with long moving jaw castings), and most of all buy or make some T-nuts without which the Mill is pretty much useless.... worst of all I am describing accessories needed for basic work, nothing fancy....more complex work may require extra devices....

:banana:
Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Don Jugglioni: Master of the domain!

Member Number: 3
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Dats a big machine!
Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Old 12-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 495

I looked at these lathes and mills a while ago.

A combo machine does seem to offer some price advantages but most will agree that for a few extra beans try and get a dedicated lathe and a seperate dedicated milling machine. It will allow much more flexability and a lot less hassle dismantling parts of the machine when you want to swap operations.

If you have experience using these machines you can pick and choose your accessories but i ended up getting just about all that was available and i still need odds and sods to even do what i thought were simple jobs.

I ended up getting:-

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...50&r=2043&g=106

and

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...25&r=2043&g=106

I have used the next bigger/better ?? range of lathes but to be honest i found that they are all made by the same company in china with different colours and names and they had loads of slop and play even when brand new and set up by a rep from the company.

The slightly smaller range I opted for seemed better made, required less setting up and are still all cast iron and can take full size tools and accessories.

Another option was a german make of similar size and better quality, which could be made fully CNC capably with add ons but, WOH the price went through the roof.

Im no expert for sure.

Good luck with whatever you do, just remember this is normally a lifetime purchase decision. A part time machinist is unlikely to ever wear out a machine so see the product first before buying anything, maybe go see an engineering club in your area and see what they reccomend.

Good luck.

Result:- Nothing is impossible.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM

heh.. thats uncanny.... you have exactly the same kind of mill and lathe I have...... :blink:

Old 12-08-2005, 10:40 PM

Member Number: 428

Hey, thanks for all the advice guys!

From the sound of things I should get seperate machines. Makes sense after spoon explained the changing machines bit.

I'll have to keep looking and see what I can find.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 495

Whoa Spoon!!!

Scary!

I will say your workshop looks a little better organised than mine for sure.

I just moved house and left my brother in charge while i am overseas. God only knows what hes done to the place.

Should be back soon though, and get stuck into making some progress on some more models.

A quick question whilst i am here- I am new to the 'lathe motor' issue. Can you buy these motors at a regular rc car shop or are they something special?

cheers mate

Result:- Nothing is impossible.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 PM

you mean the 55t lathe motors used in crawlers? they are a replacement item for a comm lathe, made by... integy I think. not every shop stocks em, but chances are if they do the comm lathe its not unreasonable to expect them to stock(or at least be able to order in) some spare motors.

I havent seen any in model shops round by me in the midlands, but most shops only do cobra or hudy comm lathes and none of them stock any integy parts...

Old 12-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 109

Spoon,

It seems you are well into your machines :banana: have you found or indeed is it possible to get a collet set for your lathe? much better than a chuck in my opinion :blink: