Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default VW Type 2 Bay-window, 1/16

A while back i fell in with the wrong crowd... 1/14 scale semi guys and construction workers. Ive got a dumptruck and crane/dragline in work. Project ADD hit, and i needed a nice scale normal vehicle to drive at the meets. Most of the available 1/16 and 1/14 rc cars are supercars you'll never see in real life, especially not around semis.

Dickie toys of germany makes a 1/14 scale Bay window 1967-71 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter. I got mine off amazon, but apparently they were available at walmart for a short time.

It has a friction drive gearbox with a flywheel, and steering rack and knuckles with 3 position posing. Everything is screwed together or plastic tabs.

All the doors and hatches work, 7 passenger interior, detail is very impressive, and it can even seat bruder figures. I'm glad it's more of a normal bus than the export model 19 window sambas with sliding top that are normally done as toys.

Last edited by frizzen : 03-18-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Another Newbie

I pulled the transaxle out. Unscrew body from pan, unsnap rear seat tabs, unsnap engine cover tabs. rims pull straight off, 3 screws and the transaxle comes out. 3 screws and you can pull one side of the gearbox apart, pull out the flywheel.

I used a mitsumi pancake motor out of a CD-rom drive. Some 0.040 styrene was laminated to the center beam for motor mount. Then the side plate that supported the flywheel was clearanced and reinstalled.

Needed to do some minor trimming and put some color on the dash details.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Another Newbie

I picked up a horizon hobby SPMS401 mini servo. Trimmed away stuff until it fit. I punched a servo mount ear through the right wheelwell and built up a stack of styrene to secure a screw. I mounted the other ear to a styrene plate that i brought forward and screwed into the tunnel between seats. Draglink needed a little clearancing and an oval hole for the servo since i'm using the wrong arc of its swing

Trim seats for clearance.

While i was in there i also raised the top steering knuckle supports by a bit less than the amount hanging below the knuckles. Clearanced the supports that tie the front and middle of the pan so the draglink could articulate. Drilled through the stop plates above the steering knuckles so they can articulate up.
I'm going to drop some pen springs in the front and cap the top. Or maybe i decide it has drop spindles and forget to do it.

Then i loosened the forward transaxle mount screw, and put springs between screw head and transaxle at both rear mounts.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

That looks awesome! I love the use of the OEM gearbox. Plenty of gear reduction for the pancake motor for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 AM
Another Newbie

Thank you!.

I got bored and looked up the cd-rom motor. Is should give me more than scale power.
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Cata...lseries_e.html

I'm still waiting on an esc. Probably going to liquid latex or plastidip the tire tread since i can't figure out what tires the germans are putting on theirs.

My goal is to make it a driver for Lebanon Indiana Garden show 2017. Annual Home And Garden Show
April 20, 21, and 22, 2017
Three (3) day event located at the Boone County 4-H fairgrounds.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Another Newbie

A 20amp reversable esc with brake option showed up. (i like overkill better than magic smoke.) It's made of chineseieum, so no documentation at all and not labeled on the wires. I learned that a male JST connector would be battery, therefore female got chop off and changed to male deans. Moved fem jst to motor for easy mx later. Then it all dropped into place.

I just stuck it on a new 2 ch radio that i had laying around scrapped out of another build.

All the components tuck away nicely into the engine bay, i did notch the package tray near the spare tire to route my battery wires up. I punched a hole through the floorpan for rx switch. I didn't even have to lose the upright engine plate, so that's going to need more detail when you pop the hood.

Gear reduction is about perfect. The hard tires aren't really a setback yet, i put the 2/3A 6-pack battery in the package tray and its got plenty of grunt, and weight distribution is quite far aft. Doesn't seem to be understeering.

I really get why these are so frequently converted by the germans over on modellbau! It's a very slick and minimal pain build for what I think is a great looking model.

She's a runner! She's not fast, but more than quick enough for scale. Now i can start planning crazy things like dual carbs, pretty interior, improved tires, roof load, lights...

This really needs carbs, a distributor behind the vac advance, wires...

Anyway, What do you think of my build?
Old 04-03-2017, 04:12 PM

Member Number: 19770

I love this T2, in scale 1:160 to 1:1.
Nice build.
What is this for e engine and gearbox?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Another Newbie

Thank you!

The motor was originally a drawer opener from an old CD-rom drive. I mostly went with it because it would very easily fit between transaxle / side of body and looked like it had plenty of torque.

The transaxle is the stock Dickies toy friction-motor gearbox that came with the body, i just removed the geared flywheel and replaced it with a motor and matching pinion. A few pieces of styrene and solvent were used to space the motor as needed and give a motor mount.

It's kinda quick and dirty, but i'm only at about $50, not including battery or radio.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Another Newbie

Surfboards are stupid, but it could work IF i could have found 1/14 bikini girls. The surf rack looks wrong for topracks, or a cargo rack, maybe a ladder rack...
i'd rather a slick top, but then you've got to fill holes and repaint, and the rack keeps it off the table when you have to split body and pan. Grrr.

Screw it, let's just go ride bikes.

Alright! Nice.

Spinmaster made 'finger bikes' a while back. I'd bought a few of them for my 1/10 crawler (scx10 scaler cherokee), but they don't scale right to any size even todler bikes. Turns out in 1/14 scale i've got a 20" bmx/mountain, 24" bmx/mountain, and 26" road bike.

0.040 styrene, bonder, and some vague idea. With some careful planning (making it up as i go), the bike racks still can slide out the back of the rack so the cross braces still protect the roof upside down. The bikes are secure but still removeable.

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

Well done! Good for unique cargo

Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Another Newbie

I promised scale, so i better mean it.

I hope there's going to be camping somewhere near the show...

Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 AM
Another Newbie

I hit up the Lebanon Indiana show and drove with some great guys.

Uh hey guys, whose got a tow truck?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

Looks perfect next to the semi trucks

Old 06-29-2017, 02:00 AM
Another Newbie

Let's add some more skookum...

Kind of a pain to install lights, the lenses are stickers between the lens and housing. I'm using 3mm led. Putting in headlights, front turn signals, and red tail lights.

I don't feel like rear yellow turn signals, there's not that much room for the lens retainer and 2 leds. But i'm thinking dome lights might be cool.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

And a couple of green behind the dash gauge and radio