Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

General R/C Banter If you have general question that does not fit in the other categories enter it here!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:19 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Geez! I wish I had friends like that! Was it that the Bruiser re-re needed work he didn't wanna do or? Pretty cool either way, Score City!

I dug up a couple old REC bits, and an old winch for mine. It's really the 1st time I've used more than 1 or 2 of 'em on a rig: It'll have bed kit, topper, folding lawn chair, snatch block, ratcheting jack, Tuff Tote and license plates from my stash. I went through a major Re-Re Buggy phase & a vintage Tyco phase & ain't built a real truck for a long time!

I sure do enjoy this hobby when I can, Boy is somebody gonna score one day when I'm dead: All these toys & nary a one with any wear......

Bed kit will be in soon, I got to tweakin' on the seam and let putty dry overnight. Shelby (The Cat) stares at me accusingly when I do too much RC stuff- He likes to play and, like my Girl, wonders how someone can be so interested in this toy car stuff.

Also waiting for a part for my Honda City Turbo- Gonna finally use a set of the Shadow wheels I did a while back on something, if ya remember those.

So, anyone bought a $199 HG-407 yet? The thought of getting cheap one RTR & dropping it for the street has been pokin' me in the brain. Chris REC
Attached Images

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 PM
I am the Scale 4x4 R/C Grand PooBah!

Member Number: 11
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

The actual Re-Bruiser was/is somewhat of a basket case. Everything at this point is there and I only had to order a $15 in parts. The paint is perfect and insanely awesome. I just need to put the body together at this point.

Nate
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 AM

Boy, good deal for you Mate! If they weren't almost the same truck, you'd have to feel like you really got over on him: But it was all his idear, so Enjoy: And a pic of this marvelous paint please?

Paint is the next decision on the 407. I will have an airbrush soon, and have a gretat little local paint shop that has House of Kolor and can mix me up somethin' special. I want Spectacular paint too! It ain't hard, mostly prep, then lots of wet sanding, but that's just the mechanical part- A nice main color & simple graphics to set of the body lines is where I struggle a bit. I figger, a good color w/said graphics, proper stance. & a nice wheel & tire package, and you have a Winner: Not the easiest thing to nail all 3 of those though.

My issue is rubber: Lotsa nice stuff out there, but want something a tad wide but realistic. I guess it's just that my brain has envisioned the Bruiser/407 w/wide stock rubber for so many years, which ain't very realistic. Some nice stuff online from China, and the Duratrax Scalers are very nice too. Fun fun!

By the way, I AM in your will to get the Lil' Stinker '57 body still, right? Got things to trade! Been busy lately, look at the shop. Did get the bed kit finished, the topper in a couple days, then.....Gotta decide on that paint soon! Shelby suggest, maybe, 'Kitty Toy Purple'?? Chris REC

Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 05:48 PM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

Well if you’re gonna go....
David lee Roth is some good wide tire inspiration

You might need more shocks though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 12:53 AM

Hmmm! I would have though Mr. Roth would not be so restrained in his choice of vehicle!

Got the bed all done, it's starting to look like a truck now. It's always made me wonder how companies will make, and chaps will build, a truck SO over the top in its quest for scaleness, then destroy it all with the shallow, toylike bed. I now see why I did 3 runs of these, then RC4WD finally came out with a body that had the deep bed. (Odd how the Clod & Bklackfoot kits really did horribly though, there's only 2.85 trillion of 'emn out there....)

On to the topper, not much to finish that: Then gotta decide on paint. Silver w/ blue? Chris REC

Attached Images

Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Wow Chris looks great!... Looks way better with the drop bed.... Whatcha thinking wheel wise? Is there a REC product in the works to address the axle width "issue"? ... Mark
Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Well Thanks Mate! Very kind1 Right now, I've ground the heads of some M3 screws from round to 2 flat sides as wide as the threads, & epoxied 'em into the body: The idea is, fill theb rest of the holes with putty, sand, & eliminate the visible screw heads on the outside of the body. I think it'll add more reaism than just about anything else I can do: Pics later. Also cut out the half-cab windows & gonna use tinted (Or clear) plastic to fill 'em.

The few wheel adapters I've seen- In a quick search- seem to screw onto the existing 3-lobe chunk that the wheels mount to stock. I'd think it better to re-make the whole piece so it don't get wider w/different wheels. Dunno if someone has already done this, if not.......??? Chris REC

Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Do that. It's been done but please do it. I will buy one and buy a set.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 15933

make a hub like the rc4wd hex conversation that will fit the stock shafts
Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 AM

Eh, looking a bit more I see plenty of options already out there- Not as Byootyful as I would do it, but..... Here's pics of the screws, soon to be puttied & then lots of cursing & Viola! and one of the old Scorcher sunroof kits I'm putting in my Honda City Turbo- Fugly now, but it'll look & work great when done (I hope!) Glass in the half-cab is a necessity for the well-Dressed Half-cab. All done soon & pics of success (I hope again!) Chris REC

Attached Images

Old 06-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378

Great idea on the screws. Kind of like a toilet flange T-bolt. Flat sides held by the epoxy to prevent the "stud" from turning.. I'm stealing your idea for the hg407 I am resisting buying haha.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:06 AM

Yup, Toilet Inspiration! The putty is drying now, should look pretty good when it's done. Large screws that are so visible ain't very scale.

Just buy one & you won't regret it. Not many better deals out there, all things considered. Chris REC

Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Wasting Time'r

I painted the screws on my bruiser 2012. they blend in pretty good
Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 PM

At least you cared enough to do that Mate! I swear, the fact almost no one does anything kills me. Chris REC

Old 06-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Wasting Time'r

i wish i had done like you are doing but i did not think of that at the time. my hg is painted red with mountain rider decals looking forward to how you do yours.