Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
"All the dedicated members will be there"

Member Number: 3587
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Tri-Axle Gas Tank Trailer

We'll i have been sitting on two trailer kits for some time now. First is a tamiya gas tanker and the other the Tamiya reefer. I have always wanted to take the tri-axle reefer suspension & super singles mount them on the Gas Tanker and turn the Reefer into a Spread axle Tandem.

So i have begun phase one. The tank trailer. So far so good. I took the frame rails for the tanker match them next to the reefer and drill the nessesery holes to convert the Susp. I have the Tanker 65% finished and was able to snap some Pics here you go...

I have to say i am very immpressed with the Tri-Axle suspension. Very Cool. i also love the Rear Steerable Axle.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Member Number: 2505
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Cool

Any pics of the spread axle?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 44

pretty darn sharp,sweet pete....lol...was just discussing tank trailers with brad this morning...
Old 09-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 2887

Not too fond of closet made shelving....

But the trailer looks sharp!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys. Nothing on the Reefer yet. that will be a Winter Project. I am going to paint the trailer Dark red too match my cab over. All the Panels & angle red. plus i want to install extra lighting.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Well trailer is 90% finished, just waiting for my other fenders to come in so i can make my custom tri-axle fenders. I was debating on painting the front & rear end caps red too match and a red stripe down the center aswell, but for now i will run it chrome and save that project for another day. I changed the Mud Flaps too black on the truck and trailer.

I also disconnected the servo from the Fifth wheel and put the manual lever on instead. i was never very happy with it, it always disconnected while i was driving & never when i needed it to.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
HATERS BE HATE'N..

Member Number: 85
B/S/T Feedback: (10)

Jimmy that looks great I will get them fenders off tomarrow I hope if not sat for sure work is nuts right now.
________
MFLB

Last edited by Tamiya Cowboy : 03-25-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 AM
What else?

Member Number: 3806

Theres a nice idea! I had already thought on applying the reefer suspension and single tires to all the others tamyia trailers, from the pole to the flatbed, but never had the opportunity... the tanker looks really european! Have you thougt on using the reefer fenders also?

Nice work!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 44

looking better every day,sweet pete...and the move to manual 5th wheel operation,pure genious....lol...alex and i were just discussing manual versus radio operation on some features just a few days ago...

rich
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Whatever floats your boat, just as long as it doesn't sink mine...

Member Number: 3527

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBruiser View Post
looking better every day,sweet pete...and the move to manual 5th wheel operation,pure genious....lol...alex and i were just discussing manual versus radio operation on some features just a few days ago...

rich
Yeah, I'll take manual over the servo-operated anyday. Sure it's cool to some extent, but you don't see drivers in the 1:1s releasing theirs from the cab. Heck, most times when I've done it you're lucky if you can release the lever manually...there's always some moderate cussing and a few violent tugs before she decides to break free!

But nice switch, and this way there will be even less chance of electronic glitching with one less component to worry about!

-Alex
Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClemente1980 View Post
Theres a nice idea! I had already thought on applying the reefer suspension and single tires to all the others tamyia trailers, from the pole to the flatbed, but never had the opportunity... the tanker looks really european! Have you thougt on using the reefer fenders also?

Nice work!
You no i did not think about the reefer fenders, i put them together last nite and mounted them up. But i think the trailer needs the fenders to be Chrome, too much black down there. But they are nice fenders.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselKid View Post
Yeah, I'll take manual over the servo-operated anyday. Sure it's cool to some extent, but you don't see drivers in the 1:1s releasing theirs from the cab. Heck, most times when I've done it you're lucky if you can release the lever manually...there's always some moderate cussing and a few violent tugs before she decides to break free!

But nice switch, and this way there will be even less chance of electronic glitching with one less component to worry about!

-Alex
Plus you still have to lower the landing gear by hand, and or remove the Light plug. After coming home from indy that was my only complaint about running my cabover. So this will work much better.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM

I finally got my second set of chrome fenders. Thanks Paul. I mocked, cut, glued and Mounted them. I think they came out great. I also got to run the trailer for the first time today. I have to say while i love the tri-axle i do not like the rear steerable axle,Works good going foward, Not good for backing up, its starts to crab walk. So i will move the steerable from the rear to the front, and we'll see how that goes. Worst case i'll just lock it straight. i took a few pics so here you go. She's pretty much set for the East Coast meet this weekend.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Ken M.

Member Number: 3450

Looks great outside sir. For some reason it looks longer with the tri-axles. Be sure to update how the steer axle does when you move it up front.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
It sounded like a good idea at the time...

Member Number: 3503

Got coil springs in the steering rods? If you get stiffer ones it might tend to stay straighter. Had to do it to a mock up I did, before they came up with the steering trailer axle. I don't know exactly how that works as I have only seen pics. It uses the shocks to hold or "return" straight right?