Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Runnin' on the Sun

Member Number: 11066
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default SCXplorer Expedition Camper

Hello all,

I have been surfing around here for quite some time & decided to start a build thread of my first project. It started as a Used RTR SCX10 Toyota FJ that I bought on the bay that had some mods. Came with a couple sets of wheels & tires, 3racing winch, custom front steel bumper, LED light set in body, extra body, radio, batteries, steel roof rack & more...
I didn't care for the FJ body & have a nice C-10 body that I have plans for so I sold the FJ on the bay. I cut the bed off of the Clod body. I had some 1.9 Honcho wheels & Flat Irons but they were just way too big. I tried the HPI wheels with Out Croppers (came with the FJ lot) & they just didn't do it for me either.

SO I had to get a set of RC4WD steel wheels in 1.55 & a set of Rock Crushers. That did it! They are staying..

Here are some photos of what I started with, really just getting into the project!

This is a mock up. I added the Honcho rear cage for now but that may change. With the cage mounted to the C-10 body it sits more forward than the Honcho set up so I had to trim it some. I am planning on a camper set up that the roof can be raised when parked. I may trim the upper half of the rear cage & just build the pop top inside it or just build fresh...
Let me know what you guys think of the camper shells!

Here are some ideas for the camper shell, of course I would build it to suit the C-10....

Last edited by offgridder : 04-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Runnin' on the Sun

Here's a few more shots with the HPI's & before & after I cut the bed off...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I think I suffer from something.

Member Number: 10658
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

i think a camper shell would be great! Dont see too many of them, would be an interesting build! And nice choice on tires/wheels.
W@T3R8oY wUz H3R3! Well, im Broke MoFo #89!! Eat that Lauer!!
Im suffering from RC addiction. Oh it hurts so good.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Runnin' on the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
i think a camper shell would be great! Dont see too many of them, would be an interesting build! And nice choice on tires/wheels.
Hey thanks, I am happy with them... Are there any scale camper builds on scale 4X4 that you know of? I have yet to find one. I am waiting on the pile of styrene I ordered to show up & then it's time to build! I also ordered some 3/8" rare earth magnets to mount the body. Got a ton of body work to do also...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

We need some more campers around here
Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

i believe member 'PABLO' has done a few Unimog camper builds. These type of expedition vehicles are alot more popular with our european members, the polish scalers especially, and i can remember a coupld of different ones in various pics,links that pablo has posted in the past.

interesting choice of cabs, and old chevy isnt the most common choice at all for such a vehicle, should turn out cool. personally i like it with the tube work, the way you have it.

here is a link to the unimog camper:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24948

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18588
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Runnin' on the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
i believe member 'PABLO' has done a few Unimog camper builds. These type of expedition vehicles are alot more popular with our european members, the polish scalers especially, and i can remember a coupld of different ones in various pics,links that pablo has posted in the past.

interesting choice of cabs, and old chevy isnt the most common choice at all for such a vehicle, should turn out cool. personally i like it with the tube work, the way you have it.
Hey thanks Talon for the links... I really like the first Mog! Great detail work & it just looks so real. The only thing I didn't care for is the side to side action it produces but that could be the sand causing it...

I was beginning to think I was the first to consider building an exploration type vehicle! I decided on th C-10 for 2 reasons, I have one & always wanted to build this type of truck - plus it would be different! Originally I was going to put an in-bed standard shell camper on it. I decided that wouldn't be too capable on the trails tho because of rear overhang & I want to keep the CG lower plus the coolness factor wasn't really there with that type of camper, too old-school... I too like the idea of using the lower tube work as the foundation instead of just building a box. I like the protection factor & I think I will be much more stable, not as wide as a box & again the CG will be better - especially with the poptop feature. Anyone know where I might find window screen that looks to scale? I want screens for the poptop windows if possible. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Runnin' on the Sun

Oh yea, I was wondering if anyone has a link to a brazing 101 technical section to help me learn what to use, what tools I need etc? I worked in a street rod shop & have done my share of welding but this is a whole different puppy! I would really like to build this with metal tubework if possible but I want to avoid this project taking 2 years to complete!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3579
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Nice project, the Unimog is so cool!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Still here.

Member Number: 227
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

Nice looking project!

Perhaps one of the most famous expedition builds:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ht=earthroamer
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Mr. Tire Guy

Member Number: 3012
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

^^I first thought of the earthroamer project too.

I think the clod looks fantastic with the honcho rear tube work. I dont know why it seems to me that body isnt as common as a truggy or with tube work out back. Looks great already. I think a soft pop top would be cool.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Runnin' on the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafestomp View Post
Nice looking project!

Perhaps one of the most famous expedition builds:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ht=earthroamer
Wow!! I can't believe the detail on this vehicle! INSANE! I only have a few minutes before I gotta go pick up the wife & baby from the airport but the photos I saw, amazing... Was this some sort of commissioned job by the company by chance? I WILL have to read this thread from start to finish when I have a few free days!

I did see this company's creations before but never knew anyone made a 1/10. I felt these were too big for my wants, although my Diaz chassis New Bright JK just showed up yesterday and again I am thinking exploration vehicle for this one too!
Thanks for the link, very helpful!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Runnin' on the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
^^I first thought of the earthroamer project too.

I think the clod looks fantastic with the honcho rear tube work. I dont know why it seems to me that body isnt as common as a truggy or with tube work out back. Looks great already. I think a soft pop top would be cool.
I gotta agree with you on all points... as soon as I lined up the Honcho tube work on the Clod I had to cut off the bed... I have decided the camper shell will be built inside the tube work. I will also clean up the tube work, covering the screw heads etc.

Any idea where I could get some canvas for a poptop? Something thin that would fold on itself when the top is dropped... & screen. I am having a really hard time trying to find something that is like screen, even plastic might work...
Thanks all!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Classic Steel Designs

Member Number: 7308

i 'm liken this one so far.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

Member Number: 3579
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Any update??